Can VLC Edit Video and How to Edit Video in VLC
VLC has been around for a long time as a player for free media. However, the hidden features of VLC are much more intriguing. For instance, VLC also works as video editor, DVD ripper and video conversion tool. However, don’t expect it to satisfy all of your editing requirements. It’s by no means equivalent to Adobe Premiere Pro, iMovie or Photos which is Windows 11/10’s included video editor.
We will reveal all of the VLC video editing capabilities and demonstrate how to trim videos in VLC and ways to rotate, join and crop videos in VLC.
Can VLC edit video?
As we’ve already mentioned, VLC also comes with several video editing options. It lets you cut or move, rotate, crop and combine videos, and much more. With its wide support for different formats, this program allows editing videos in nearly all formats.
- Open source and free software for editing video.
- It is not necessary to install any other software if you already have VLC as player.
- Edit the video using trimming, cropping, turning and merging.
- It isn’t easy to locate the editing tools you require.
- Editing options aren’t user-friendly in VLC.
- The video cannot be viewed in preview mode because that you edit in real time.
How do I crop the length of a video or reduce the length of the length of a video?
Step 1. Launch the program and navigate to the menu for Video from the screen that welcomes you.
Step 2. Add the video to the program by dropping and dragging it or using an +Video option.
Step 3. Go to the Toolbox tab, then double-click on to open the tool for trimming.
Step 4. Drag the green knobs to adjust the cut time the position.
step 5. Click Done and Click Run to begin making the videos smaller.
What is the best way to edit videos using VLC
Strategies: To start any editing process within VLC you must turn to „Advanced Controls“ under „View“ in the menu bar.
1. VLC Trim Video
To trim video using VLC Follow these easy steps:
- You can open the file with video selecting the Media tab, then Open File and finally Open on the bar menu.
- Click View on the menu bar, and then toggle to „Advanced Controls“.
- Drag the slide bar until it reaches the starting point.
- Select to the „Record“ button and „Play“ button to begin cutting.
- Hit on the „Record“ button again to stop at the conclusion of the video portion you want to record.
- You can find the cut video clips in the library of Videos or in My Documents folder.
If you wish to alter the output folder in order to save the VLC edited video, you can follow these steps:
- Choose Tools > Preferences in the VLC Menu (for Mac version, go to the Menu > Preferences).
- In the dialogue box of Preferences select Input/Codecs.
- If you are in the Record directory, or the section with the filename In the Record directory or filename section, click Browse to choose the Export folder.
In terms of technology, VLC media player cuts the video in a recording manner. In addition, if you’re using VLC on the Mac computer to cut video, there could be some differences to the instructions above Please refer to the steps to cut video with VLC on a Mac.
2. How to Merge Videos in VLC
It is possible to join video files in VLC via the command line, or via its graphic interface. Following the instructions below, you can join several videos into one within VLC.
- Open VLC.
- Click on Media > open multiple files from the main menu.
- Import the videos using on the button Add.
- Press Alt+O on your keyboard to display an option to convert.
- Select a preferred format by clicking on the Profile drop-down menu.
- Click Start to join videos.
3. Crop Video VLC
There are two options to you to crop video using VLC Media Player:
- Method 1:
- Select „Video“ in the menu bar.
- Go until „Crop“.
- Choose a particular aspect ratio such as 16:10 4:1, 1.85:1 1:1, etc.
- Then the video will be cut for playback at the appropriate aspect ratio.
- Method 2:
- Scroll to the bottom of player.
- Select „Show extended settings“ in the toolbar.
- Switch to „Video Effects“ tab > Crop.
- You can set different values in each of the four locations (left bottom, right and the bottom).
- Set the preferences to save.
As you will observe the use of VLC to cut out unwanted parts of a movie isn’t simple. There are other options to crop video files on Windows quickly and easily.